Time differences when syncing events

Anton van der Kolk a.vdkolk at xs4all.nl
Thu Feb 28 13:55:09 CET 2013

L.S.,

I'm working with KOLAB2 for quite some time now. In the near future I
would like to update to KOLAB3. I've created a virtual testing server
with Debian Wheezy and I've installed Kolab and Kolab-syncroton. I've
ran the setup wizard and the server is running. During the wizard I've
answered Europe/Amsterdam at Timezone. I've created some users, I'm able
to send and receive mail (from Thunderbird, Android, and Roundcube).
This all works just fine.

After that I've tested the syncing from the calendar. During the testing
I've used a HTC Sensation, A virtual client with Thunderbird and Chrome
to access Roundcubemail. I've noticed some differences in times.

Android        ->    Roundcube    ->    Works just fine
Android        ->    Thunderbird  ->    Event is one hour into the future
Roundcube      ->    Android      ->    Works just fine
Roundcube      ->    Thunderbird  ->    Event is one hour into the future
Thunderbird    ->    Android      ->    Works just fine, no difference
in time
Thunderbird    ->    Roundcube    ->    Works just fine, no difference
in time

I've checked the following:

  * Timezone in php.ini: date.timezone= Europe/Amsterdam
  * Server time =Same as the client with Thunderbird
  * Timezone for lightning is Europe/Amsterdam
  * Time in Thunderbird (the stripe in the calendar)is same as the
    server time
  * Time in roundcube (the stripein the calendar) is the same as server
    time etc.
  * Creating a php script which shows the php date (<?php echo
    date("H:i:s");?>) shows the correct time
  * No errors in /var/log/apache2/error.log

When checking the XML file from the event it shows the correct time and
date (for both start time and end time).
(<date-time>2013-02-28T12:00:00</date-time> for a event for 12:00). The
timezone ID = /kolab.org/Europe/Amsterdam.Seems all correct to me, but
for some reason it just decides to add an hour to the time.

I've noticed something strange in the XML file, the created timestamp is
my time minus 1 hour, the dtstamp time is my current time.

I'm using the KOLAB2 format in SyncKolab (KOLAB3 format doesn't even
seem to add appointments to the calendar). I've tried using the nightly
SyncKolab version, this makes no difference.

It is driving me nuts,please please please help me.

Thanks in advance! Kind regards,

Anton van der Kolk