Public free (libre) mailbox hosting service for everybody!

אנטולי קרסנר tombackton at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 10:51:10 CET 2013

On ה', 2013-02-28 at 09:33 +0100, M. Fioretti wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 23:11:32 PM +0200, אנטולי קרסנר wrote:
> > Hello e-mail software developers and users!
> >
> > I'd like to ask all of you a question. And of course hear relevant
> > opinion.
>
> > ...But I couldn't find a replacement to mailbox hosting... why is
> > there no mailbox hosting service which respects user freedom?
> > The problem is not me. The problem is that all the non-programmer
> > and non-technical users can't. And they shouldn't. We tech people
> > can, and should, run such servers for everybody. For all users who
> > want their basic freedoms respected.
> >
> > Another question to tech people: I'm not an expert in e-mail
> > software, so I'm not really sure setting up a server is as easy as
> > all other online services we get, such as Diaspora (facebook
> > replacement), MediaGoblin (Youtube replacement), Gitorious (git repo
> > hosting). Is there a technical issue preventing people from running
> > a mail server, or it's just a matter of having enough money to run
> > it, and the necessary technical skills (which many of you probably
> > have).
>

> Anatoly,
>
> you practically force (in the good sense, of course) me to ask you
> read very carefully, and spread around as much as possible, these
> posts of mine, which answer EXACTLY the questions you present:
>
> http://stop.zona-m.net/2011/09/what-is-the-real-value-of-gmail-and-why-its-important-to-think-about-alternatives/
>
> Please also read, and spread as much as you see fit, also the links in
> the last paragraph of that post, in which I elaborate on the topic of
> Virtual Personal Email Servers.
>
> Then read this, especially the "what's missing" part that deals
> exactly with the "we technical people should run such servers for
> everybody" point you make:
>
> http://stop.zona-m.net/2013/01/the-alternatives-to-apple-facebook-c-already-exist-shall-we-package-them/
>
> Any feedback is welcome!
>
> Marco F.
> http://mfioretti.com

Hi Marco (and recipients),

I read the articles and I'd like everybody to have a look too. Focus
thoughts on technology before everything else: Can we setup mail service
which is easy enough to maintain (enough to be reliable) and easy enough
to use, even for non-technical users who use Gmail and Micro$oft
Outlook?

If someone who's familoar with mail software can write some kind of
plan, or at least a list of tools needed for a mail server, I'll be
thankful.

Anatoly Krasner