Public free (libre) mailbox hosting service for everybody!

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Thu Feb 28 12:02:53 CET 2013

On 2013-02-28 11:04, אנטולי קרסנר wrote:
> If I can connect to the Kolab mailbox from any desktop client,
> including
> KMail, Evolution, Thunderbird, and also smaller ones such as Balsa or
> even Mutt, then the solution your company offers is great.

The server is fully accessible through IMAP, ActiveSync and the web, so
a native Kolab client will also be able to make use of the offline
Calendar, Task & Address book functionality. Right now KDE Kontact and
Mozilla Thunderbird / Lightning with latest SyncKolab have support for
V3 groupware data.

Some time in the summer we also plan to add access to the groupware
data through CalDAV/CardDAV, see
http://kolab.org/news/2013/02/27/roadmap-kolab-3.1-irony-included

> 1. Will the pricing be for the whole service, i.e. you get a mailbox,
> spam filter, calendar, etc. paying the same amount every month?

Most likely we'll do some differentiation based on parameters such as
ActiveSync enabled, storage size and so on and so forth.

You can find some brainstorming at
http://wiki.kolab.org/Hosted_Kolab_for_Kolab_3.0

So it would for instance be possible to do a pure webmail offer if you
wanted.

> 2. I'd like to make the Free mail service as popular as I can, and
> encourage people to join. I'd also like it to be a community project
> which can receive funding and possibly even run for free (price=0).
> This
> way I can still send a donation, while people who aren't familiar with
> free software get a chance to migrate from GMail without paying.

I understand.

Some things to consider: Google has massive infrastructure & staff to
provide that service and the people you seem to want to target will
likely expect similar levels of reliability or you will lose them again
as fast as you gained them. We're talking a minimum of two data centres,
four hypervisors, SAN, backup storage, plus power, network, physical
security cost, administrative overhead, staff cost to provide reasonably
fast response times. And that's just to get started. ;) Google's revenue
model is clear - so you'd find yourself competing with no income against
a very strongly data driven revenue model. So you have to be careful not
to disappoint people with such a service, otherwise you'll achieve the
opposite of what you aim for.

And finally don't forget to consider human psychology: If it doesn't
cost anything, it's likely not worth anything. There is plenty of
examples where price alters perception to the level of the same wine
being considered to taste better purely because it was sold more
expensively.

Not saying a free service cannot provide some value, but I'd take these
factors into account.

> If I told you I have funding for the project, let's say from the FSF,
> so
> your company can get monthly payment, and in return it will run the
> service at no cost for individual users, will you agree?

Sure. It all depends on details, of course.

Kolab Systems is a fully Free Software company and likes to support
Free Software initiatives and projects, so we're basically happy to
support such activities where they promote Free Software or help the
ecosystem in other ways at a level of them not losing us money.

The hard limit would be where we start losing money, because that would
be money lost to developing more Free Software, primarily Kolab. So as
long as we have enough income to offset the associated cost with
providing a service that meets our quality standards (we would never
like to provide sub-par services) we're okay.

> 3. If you can't accept the offer to get funding for any reason, I have
> another option on my mind. Since you use free software, someone should
> be able to setup a private server just like yours. So, that someone
> can
> get funding and thus offer the same service you offer, without
> charging
> for it.

Yes, of course you can take the software and set up the exact same
service, if you want.

I doubt you can do it without cost (see above), so you would need
income, as well. And I'd strongly suggest you check the legal
requirements of providing such a service in the jurisdiction of your
choice, because I would not want you to get into trouble over this.

But yes, *everything* we do is fully Free Software.

So if you want to set this up yourself, that is perfectly fine with us
and we'll even help you as much as we can through the usual community
channels.

> What do you think?

Generally speaking, I think it can work.

 From our perspective, if this was a service aimed at spreading Free
Software awareness or even supporting Free Software projects and people
directly, we would be happy to run this at a "no loss" proposition, or
agree to ways in which any income could be allocated to further
development of the solution, perhaps even through a community feedback
process where people can vote for their most popular feature. So many
things are possible.

Best regards,
Georg

--