Kolab 3 roundcube cannot load folder with hundreds of thousands of messages?

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Thu Feb 21 20:39:11 CET 2013

On 2013-02-21 09:59, Dimitris Beletsiotis wrote:
> I cannot find something useful in log files.
>
> Any ideas?

I suppose one of two (or both) of the following things might be kicking
in;

- PHP runs out of time (by default, the execution time limit for PHP
is, IIRC, 30 seconds),

- PHP runs out of memory (not sure what the default du jour is).

Both of those issues should log to Apache's error log though, or
/var/log/roundcubemail/errors for the PHP error log is redirected.

I myself have no issues with folders with hundreds of thousands of
messages - albeit searching might be a little slower, and the thread
view obviously takes a little more time.

That said, the thread view - if large chunks of the 100s of Ks of
messages are in fact in threads - using a default page size of 40, lists
all messages in the first 40 *threads* - this can amount to hundreds of
messages - each of which need to be fetched the headers for.

I myself run with imap and message caching enabled, ensuring that any
such caching will only need to be initialized once - which is also when
opening such a folder takes the longest time. Revisiting the folder is
definitely significantly faster for me afterwards.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--
Systems Architect, Kolab Systems AG