ActiveSync credential separation and disabled users

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Sat Feb 9 17:48:26 CET 2013

On 2013-02-09 14:10, Axel wrote:
> I'm interested, too. I want to use nginx as web and also as SMTP and
> imap proxy in front of my kolab server. I would like to get some more
> informations about  dis-advantages of this solution.

It's one of those things that, outside of advantages and disadvantages,
is definitely subject to organization and deployment (use-case) specific
requirements, the different technologies and their implementations
administrators have positive or negative experiences with, if any at
all, as sometimes the choice for a particular implementation is also
*because* of the lack of experience with an alternative option.

I suppose the fun starts with articulating the use-case for the
deployment you're after, and then also, considering where it might grow
from there as well. To illustrate, let us deliberate on the
implementation of just IMAP as a service provided as part of the Kolab
Groupware solution, ignoring for a moment there's also Roundcube,
ActiveSync, Web Administration and Free/Busy web-services, LDAP,
MTAs/MSAs, virtualization platforms, network topologies, storage and
corporate policy or hosted plans (personal w/o ActiveSync, professional
w/ ActiveSync, the design implications and impact on security of hosting
business customers) to consider;

If the use-case is a hosted environment where individuals only get
their own basic @hotmail.com-style mailbox (and no sharing folders
between users is required), then an NGINX proxy in front of a bunch of
standalone IMAP servers would do the trick.

If the use-case is to host all employee's mailboxes for a large
organization, it is clear that one Cyrus IMAP server may not suffice.
But, since one employee should be able to share its folders with any
other employee, and since that other employee very likely has its
mailbox on a different Cyrus IMAP server, one would need to run a Cyrus
IMAP Murder (of any kind of topology) in order to make sure that the
client IMAP connection is proxied to the IMAP server that the targeted
folder resides on (and not merely the IMAP server the user's INBOX
resides on).

The latter is not mutually exclusive with putting NGINX in front of it
all, but the Cyrus IMAP Murder topology chosen does mandate particular
choices in configuring the deployment of NGINX as an IMAP proxy.

Then there's the hosted environment that takes on complete
organizations (with long lists of employees -> individual users), which
can be approached as a mixture of both the former types of deployments.

Similarly, as I'm sure you'll understand, the configuration and
deployment of high-availability, load-balancing and data redundancy (for
the sake of either high-availability or disaster recovery (site local?
site failover?)) are impacted, and significantly so, same as your
Standard Operating Procedures.

All in all, the Kolab Groupware solution is *the* perfect solution to
fit in precisely with the requirements you have at your home, or within
your SOHO, SME, LE, hosted business or holding company, as it is
made-to-measure and not commercial-off-the-shelf.

The inherent challenge is also to make the right choices out of all the
option value you, all of us, are provided with.

The completion of the Free[1] and published[2] Deployment[3] and
Administrator[4] Guides in full detail notwithstanding, which I hope
will some day include your notes, thoughts, use-case and deployment
considerations, I'm tempted to argue that somebody could build a
business around it ;-)

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

[1] http://git.kolab.org/kolab-docs/tree/