Unable to send Messages (SMTP Error 454, could not authenticate account)

Jens Lüttgens jens at uplink47.net
Thu Dec 5 20:27:12 CET 2013

Hello folks,

I find myself unable to send any emails using the roundcube webmail
interface (or any other client). Roundcube presents me with an error 454
and states that it is unable to authenticate my account.

I am running CentOS 6.5 and I have followed the SSL config guide on github
by dhoffend to enable SSL with a class 2 certificate from StartSSL. Before
that and before running the update to 6.5, it worked as expected. I
revisted every step in the SSL guide and even cross checked it with the
initSSL.sh script another user gratefully created. Still, I am somewhat
clueless as to where to look next. Therefore, I once more turn to this
mailing list in hopes of some much appreciated advice.

Thank you. Y'all have a nice weekend,
Jens