Kolab 3 SMTP error: Sender access denied

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Wed Dec 4 12:28:43 CET 2013

Andrew Leech <coronasensei at gmail.com> writes:

> Every time I try to send an email I get the error:
> An (SMTP) error occurred while sending mail. The server responded: 5.7.1 <DATA>:
> Data command rejected: Sender access denied.

The submission policy service enforces a policy that means that users
can only send email with a registered email address. So that error shows
up if you set your From mail address in your MUA to something other than
the mail address you have registered in Kolab.

You can either disable this policy (as you have done), meaning that
users can send mail as any sender. Or, if you like such a policy to be
enforced, you can add additional sender addresses to each user. That is
what the "External email addresses" field is for in the kolab webadmin.
(The difference between "secondary mail addresses" and "external mail
addresses" is that the secondary ones are also setup as aliases to
receive mail on, whereas the external ones are just used in the policy
checker).

At least the above is my understanding of how the mechanism works. :)

-Toke