Kolab 3 SMTP error: Sender access denied

Andrew Leech coronasensei at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 12:15:39 CET 2013

Hello,
I've got a newly setup Kolab 3 installation running on Linux Mint 15
(based on ubuntu 13.04).

I've hit an issue trying to use it as my smtp for sending email, both
from thunderbird on a different computer and from roundcube.

Every time I try to send an email I get the error:
     An (SMTP) error occurred while sending mail. The server responded:
5.7.1 <DATA>: Data command rejected: Sender access denied.

This is with thunderbird set to use starttls on port 587. I'm using my
standard Kolab User I set up in kolab-webadmin, using the same auth I
use for imap access (with the uid as username).
I've tried with a POSIX backed user with no change.

The only reference I can find to this error is in the source, in
kolab_smtp_access_policy.py
This lead me to:
http://docs.kolab.org/en-US/Kolab_Groupware/3.0/html/Architecture_and_Design/chap-Architecture_and_Design-Kolab_SMTP_Access_Policy.html
and with more info:
https://wiki.kolab.org/User:Kanarip/Draft:Kolab_SMTP_Access_Policy

 From this and more googling of the subject I believe I need to get
kolabAllowSMTPSender attribute(s?) on my kolab user to allow it access
to the smtp, but I don't know any way to do this.

I've found a workaround here:
https://lists.kolab.org/pipermail/users/2013-October/015694.html

> I can confirm this. Disabling
>
> # submission_data_restrictions = check_policy_service
> unix:private/submission_policy
>
> in /etc/postfic/main.cf solved my problem

To be clear, in /etc/postfix/main.cf I replaced:

submission_data_restrictions = check_policy_service
unix:private/submission_policy

with

#submission_data_restrictions = check_policy_service
unix:private/submission_policy
submission_data_restrictions =

But I am concerned about any security ramifications?
Can anyone shed light on this problem?

Cheers,
Andrew