2.4 to 3.0 Migration?

Jeroen van Meeuwen vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Wed Sep 12 14:05:33 CEST 2012

On Tuesday, September 11, 2012 04:29:21 PM Troy Carpenter wrote:
> On 8/15/2012 4:17 AM, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> > On Tuesday, August 14, 2012 10:08:48 PM Troy Carpenter wrote:
> >> Any news on a 2.4 to 3.0 migration?  Is 2.4 really different enough that
> >> simple in-place package replacement won't work by changing the
> >> repositories?>
> > That won't work indeed - because of the format upgrade. There's a bunch of
> > issues with it still[1], that will need to be resolved before we can stamp
> > any documentation golden.
> >
> > Additionally, there's some new features that require manual intervention,
> > such as Resource management.
>
> Has there been any update on 2.4 to 3.0 migration?  Any procedure yet
> that covers the manual changes?  I'm a small personal site (about 10
> users) and the only concern I have is losing emails and making the
> transition transparent to my users.  The 2.3 to 2.4 migration was not so
> transparent as it involved a completely new server and configuration
> changes for everyone.  However, since all my users are family members, a
> little pain isn't so bad ;)

We have parts of the procedure encapsulated in the "from OpenPKG" upgrade
process, but we have not experimented with (let alone documenting) upgrading
2.4 to 3.0 quite yet.

Here's what I do know, off the top of my head:

- MySQL in 2.4 is version 5.5 (because of a special request), but we don't
provide 5.5 in 3.0, so we fall back to the stock version. One might need to
export and import all databases, removing all \*mysql\* packages before
installing any 3.0 packages. This will likely uninstall php-mysql, thus some
additional php packages, thus roundcubemail, thus kolab-webclient and thus
kolab.

These packages would re-install once the 3.0 repositories are configured and
you issue another yum install kolab again.

- kolab-3.0-community-release\* packages do not obsolete kolab-2.4-community-
release\* packages, so you'll have to remove kolab-2.4-community-release\*
packages, then install kolab-3.0-community-release packages.

- Because of the uninstall/re-install, it is likely that there will be many
.rpmsave files (especially in /etc/), if not .rpmnew files. These deserve some
attention.

- The database schema for Roundcube will need updating. Check `rpm -qld
roundcubemail roundcubemail-plugins-kolab` after re-installation for the
mysql.update.sql files and examine the differences between your current (0.7.2
or 0.8) database schema.

I don't think we've upgraded the schema for roundcubemail-plugins-kolab other
then to add a kolab_cache table, and, I think roundcubemail itself ships with
a mysql.update.sql that, at it's tail end, lists the changes from 0.7.1 to 0.8
to 0.9.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--