Newbie needs some help

Tim Streit ledoktre at meanie.us
Thu Nov 15 18:09:33 CET 2012

Torsten,

On 11/13/2012 03:30 AM, Torsten Grote wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> On Monday 12 November 2012 23:21:00 Tim Streit wrote:
>> I am new to the wonderful world of Kolab.  I had just previously been
>> using Zarafa, and decided that I wanted to try out something hopefully
>> more efficient and also less Outlook-centric.
> In this case Kolab seems to be what you want :)
>
> Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'll reply where I can say something.
Appreciate that!
>> I tried to use the trash can and delete two of
>> them and save it.  Internal Error.  I tried then just to delete the
>> whole domain (including the alias domains). Internal Error.
> Sounds like a bug. Please make sure that you run the latest version and then
> file a bug athttps://issues.kolab.org  Thanks!
Wouldn't that be my luck?  LOL.  I'll consider filing a bug.  Is there
any documentation to administering Kolab from the command line, assuming
that way is a bit more 'tried and true'?
>> 2) Also within the kolab-webadmin.  When I log out and back in, I can
>> see each domain listed (except for the aliases above) by clicking on the
>> domain by the logout screen.  I thought, great, this is how I can switch
>> to that domains configuration.  I created a test user and saved it.  But
>> where did it go??? It was only visible by selecting my main domain.  Why?
> I assume that users are specific to domains as well. At least this seems to be
> the default behavior that can not be changed from within the web-admin.
> You probably created the user for the main domain, so it is not visible in the
> others.
Yes, all users are to be specific (jailed if you will) to specific
domains.  It's mostly going to be all personal or family, but I will
have at least one (and probably more if this server proves to be
efficient enough on my VPS) customer account which should be completely
isolated from others (directory, etc).  When I tried to create the user,
I did select the domain that I wanted, and it did show in the URL
(?domain=xyz.com or whatever), but after creation, it assigned it to my
main domain anyway, and was not visible under the selected  domain.
Same as my comments above, do you know where I can find some
documentation on a command line tool to administer things?
>> 4) I can't seem to specify my primary email address?  It puts it as
>> firstname.lastname, which is not what I want their email to be.  Am I
>> doing something wrong?  Any other system that I've used, you just
>> specify their email address, and you're done.
> Please see
>
> http://docs.kolab.org/en-US/Kolab_Groupware/3.0/html/Administrator_Guide/chap-
> Administrator_Guide-Configuring_the_Kolab_Server.html#sect-
> Administrator_Guide-Recipient_Policy
So what this is basically saying is that the primary email address is
designed to be used as a unique account identifier in 389, but will use
whatever configured email in cyrus?  Also, how would we offer
segregation on the Global Address book to the different domains?  I need
to confirm that the default email address when sending out would be the
external email -- I would plan to use a non-routeable domain as the
primary domain.

Which brings me to a question - is it tough to change the primary domain?
>> Thanks guys.  I hope that I don't overwhelm you with questions.  I know
>> how I want to do things, I am just swimming a bit in this new system.
> No problem. I hope others will be able to help you with your other questions.
> Also, we are always looking for help with documentation and also for code
> contributions.
:-)  Thanks.  I am sure with some tips on the documentation and perhaps
a little metaphorical "hand-holding" I will be walking in no time!

Thanks,

Tim