Newbie needs some help

Torsten Grote grote at kolabsys.com
Tue Nov 13 10:30:28 CET 2012

Hi Tim,

On Monday 12 November 2012 23:21:00 Tim Streit wrote:
> I am new to the wonderful world of Kolab.  I had just previously been
> using Zarafa, and decided that I wanted to try out something hopefully
> more efficient and also less Outlook-centric.

In this case Kolab seems to be what you want :)

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'll reply where I can say something.

> I tried to use the trash can and delete two of
> them and save it.  Internal Error.  I tried then just to delete the
> whole domain (including the alias domains). Internal Error.

Sounds like a bug. Please make sure that you run the latest version and then
file a bug at https://issues.kolab.org Thanks!

> 2) Also within the kolab-webadmin.  When I log out and back in, I can
> see each domain listed (except for the aliases above) by clicking on the
> domain by the logout screen.  I thought, great, this is how I can switch
> to that domains configuration.  I created a test user and saved it.  But
> where did it go??? It was only visible by selecting my main domain.  Why?

I assume that users are specific to domains as well. At least this seems to be
the default behavior that can not be changed from within the web-admin.
You probably created the user for the main domain, so it is not visible in the
others.

> 4) I can't seem to specify my primary email address?  It puts it as
> firstname.lastname, which is not what I want their email to be.  Am I
> doing something wrong?  Any other system that I've used, you just
> specify their email address, and you're done.

Please see

http://docs.kolab.org/en-US/Kolab_Groupware/3.0/html/Administrator_Guide/chap-
Administrator_Guide-Configuring_the_Kolab_Server.html#sect-
Administrator_Guide-Recipient_Policy

> Thanks guys.  I hope that I don't overwhelm you with questions.  I know
> how I want to do things, I am just swimming a bit in this new system.

No problem. I hope others will be able to help you with your other questions.
Also, we are always looking for help with documentation and also for code
contributions.

Regards,
Torsten

--