Howto restore Server with akonadi data?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Mar 5 23:05:12 CET 2012

On Friday 02 March 2012, Thorsten Schnebeck wrote:
> Am Freitag 02 März 2012, 21:16:35 schrieb Ingo Klöcker:

> > > ups, wrong mailing list - but the IMAP server IS of course a
> > > Kolab server - and maybe a Kolab + Kontact User has already a
> > > fine solution for my challenge
> >
> > Do I understand correctly that you've lost the mail-data on the
> > IMAP server and therefore want to restore it from the Akonadi
> > cache on the client?
>
> So far I have not lost mail, but I would like to know if I could
> reuse Akonadi cache as restore data. As every client has daily
> backups this can be a interesting second source for data restoring.

Hmm. Unless the IMAP server is not under your control I don't understand
why you are keen on restoring your mail from Akonadi's cache. Anyway,

To answer your question: Akonadi's cache is a cache. Just as any other
cache there are no guarantees whatsover with regard to the content of
the cache. Having said this you can probably still restore mail from a
fully cached IMAP account in Akonadi. There are just no tools to support
you.

> In the past I had a restore strategy from old kmail. When upgrading
> the clients to a newer KDE and kmail2 in the future I would like to
> know now how to improve/change these kind strategies. Therefor I
> start this challenge.

I recommend developing a different backup strategy. Clients shouldn't be
involved in a backup strategy for a server.

> BTW, I restored mail for an account with older server backup data
> missing the ~20 latest mails, run cyrreconstruct, copied the "lost
> mails" from Akonadi as described and rerun cyrreconstruct. Now in
> Horde-webmail "sort by date" is broken but all mails are there.

This would still be possible provided Akonadi has fully cached the new
mail. OTOH, there is probably a whole lot of better solutions for
providing a backup of the latest mails that are missing in the server
backup, e.g. a second mail server that all incoming mail is
automatically forwarded to. This would scale even for a large number of
clients. But if you only have one client then it's probably not worth
the effort.

Regards,
Ingo