[Kolab-devel] Update on Documentation for OpenPKG upgrade process

Robert Marmorstein robert at narnia.homeunix.com
Thu Aug 30 14:33:34 CEST 2012

I've successfully upgraded from 2.2 OpenPKG -based Kolab to 3.0.  I didn't
follow the upgrade instructions exactly because they were still being written
when I did the upgrade, but I managed to get things working anyway.

I -believe- that my work essentially follows the upgrade path.  Some things in
the document are still a little hard to follow and could use more detail, but
I haven't had a chance to go through and make suggestions for better prose.

The new system works great for me, except that I had to completely disable
amavis to prevent mail loops due to a weird bounce from the KDE mailing lists.
I haven't yet had time to try to diagnose that problem.  Otherwise, it works
fine.

Another issue, upstream, is that while RoundCube only supports the Kolab v3
XML format as far as I can tell, KDE 4.9 comes with support for v3 disabled by
default.  Users have to manually edit a configuration file
(akonadi_kolabproxy_resourcerc) to enable the new format.

Also, Ubuntu is no longer shipping the kolab_proxy resource in precise, so
Ubuntu users have to either upgrade to quantal (the development version) or
downgrade to oneiric or an earlier version.  There's an open bug report about
it.  This doesn't affect other distributions.

I'd be delighted to help anyone who is doing the 2.2 to 3.0 upgrade as much as
I can.  It's the start of a new semester here and my time online is spotty as
I prepare lectures and assignments for two new classes and rework my lectures
in a third....

Robert