New Kolab Client for Windows Package based on Kontact 4.8

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at intevation.de
Wed Aug 8 11:15:46 CEST 2012

Hi Jochen,

At Wednesday 08 August 2012 10:10:36 Jochen May wrote:
> Hi all!
> Nice to hear that windows is still supported... ;-)
> Is there a particularly reason why kolab.org/kolabsys create a own fork of
> kontact for windows instead of using the standard kde-windows-packages? I´m
> just wondering if there is a special reason for this.
The Kolab e5 client packaging is not a fork. We work closely together with the
rest of the Community, (i'm by the way also the maintainer of the Kontact
from the KDE-Windows installer) and keep our patches / build options etc. in
the official KDE Repositories (just the branding is at git.kolabsys.com).
Last weekend we've hosted a KDE-Windows meeting (which you can read about at
planetkde) and we are now providing the build server KDE-Windows will use to
package the 4.9 release.

But users are requesting a "single installer" that only contains the minimum
of KDE necessary together with an uninstaller and that it integrates in the
System. In the KDE Windows community it is fully accepted that we do this and
Calligra / Amarok are available in the same way. This is also a reliable
state that we could do QA on, that we can give to customers for their
deployment, offer long term support and all the other goodies of a
professionally supported product.

> I use KDE for Windows with the actual Kontact for 8 or 9 month on my system
> without any big trouble.
Awesome ;) spread the word!

> To install kontact I run the kde-windows-installer
> and select the packages for kde-pim. The only differences what I see, is
> that the kde-windows kontact version have the UseNet client included.
Well there are other things like the default configuration the Kolab E5
Package uses (like a look and feel thats integrated with windows instead of
the Oxygen window style), some patches and build options tailored for Kontact
that are not "globally" accepted, some libraries differ (For example gpg4win
integration still is not really working in the KDE-Windows installer because
there we need a solution that also works with the Microsoft Compiler) and we
can have an independent release cycle.

Hope that answers your question :)

Regards,
Andre