Centos 6.3: Can't add Users

Jeroen van Meeuwen vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Sun Aug 5 14:36:51 CEST 2012

On Friday, August 03, 2012 04:12:26 PM Johannes Graumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I slowly am making headway into this installation and the current roadblock
> is that I can log into the kolab-webadmin interface using "cn=Directory
> Manager" and the password defined during setup-kolab, but the button for
> adding users is missing.
>
> The trouble shooting tips at http://tinyurl.com/c3qtlmx all seem to look
> right and I appreciate any further ideas why this might be shot.

If you have executed / verified the tips in the troubleshooting section
already, then I suppose it's time to increase the verbosity of the kolab-
webadmin.

Please execute the following steps;

# cd /usr/share/kolab-webadmin/
# sed -r -i -e 's|^(\s*)//console|\1console|g' `find . -type f -name "*.php"`

Log out (if logged in) and log back in to the Kolab Web Administration Panel,
and navigate to "Users" - should the "Add user" button still be missing, could
you please send me the /var/log/kolab-webadmin/* files in their entirety?

> Sincerely, Joh
>
> P.S.: I find it highly unintuitive that the default user associated with the
> directory manager account during setup-kolab ("nobody") doesn't work for
> initial log in and that the complete "cn=Directory Manager" constuct is
> necessary. JG

The latest version of pykolab (that ships setup-kolab and friends) has
verbiage that illustrates that the 'nobody' user & group that are requested
input for are in fact the POSIX accounts under which the Directory Server is
supposed to run, rather than user accounts that are being created in the
Directory Server for use in a web admin or client.

Please also note that the First Login chapter in the documentation explicitly
states to login with "cn=Directory Manager"[1]. This is, after all, the actual
(global) LDAP server administrator account.

If you wish the setup requests input for an initial user account that is to be
created as a Kolab Administrator (for the one domain the setup sets up), then
I suggest you log an enhancement request in Bugzilla[2].

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

[1] http://docs.kolab.org/en-
US/Kolab_Groupware/2.4/html/Community_Installation_Guide/chap-
Community_Installation_Guide-First_Login.html

[2] https://bugzilla.kolabsys.com

--
Systems Architect, Kolab Systems AG

e: vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com