Building on a different machine

Chris Hastie lists at oak-wood.co.uk
Mon Oct 31 11:12:27 CET 2011

I've had lots of fun upgrading over the weekend. I tried a few months
ago and it all failed; from what I could gather this was because the
host system had been upgraded in the meantime. Never got to the bottom
of that, but decided I really needed to sort something out now.

Again, an upgrade failed. In the end I decided to move /kolab, do a
fresh install and then copy all the data back. A bit of painstaking
process, not helped by the fact that the fresh build failed first time
due to a lack of tcl (be nice if install could test and warn about this
early, rather than waiting until it's been running for a couple of
hours). I got there in the end, though it took me a while to work out
that the location of Horde's preferences had moved.

Then a thought occurred. I have another machine, same hardware, same
base system, no kolab. Could I have built kolab on this machine, copied
the packages over and then run some openpkg command to effect my
upgrade? This would have saved a lot of down time if it is possible.

And I have a further box that I look after that I need to go through the
whole process with, including upgrading the base system. I had been
thinking that I would avoid making the same mistake, and upgrade Kolab
first. But if I can upgrade the base system, copy the packages I built
this weekend and install them it would save a lot of time. Any clues?

Thanks

Chris