Kolab Postfix Problem with openSUSE

Martin Campbell martin at placefarm.com
Sun Nov 27 17:47:57 CET 2011

I am trying to install a new Kolab 2.3.4 server on a new openSUSE 11.4
OS, but I am unable to get postfix to run.

OpenSUSE comes with postfix installed by default, but I want to use the
postfix included with Kolab instead. I stopped the standard openSUSE
postfix server and removed the postfix init script from all runlevels to
avoid conflicts.

/etc/init.d/postfix stop
rm /etc/init.d/rc*.d/*postfix

I ran install-kolab.sh and kolab_bootstrap, apparently without problems.
Everything except postfix started successfully, but postfix did not.

sh install-kolab.sh 2>&1 | tee /root/kolab-install.log
/kolab/sbin/kolab_bootstrap -b
/kolab/bin/openpkg rc all start

I checked the error messages in /kolab/var/postfix/log/postfix.log.

<warning> postfix/postfix-script[4579]: warning: not owned by kolab:
/var/lib/postfix/.
<warning> postfix/postfix-script[4580]: warning: not owned by kolab:
/var/lib/postfix/./master.lock
<info> postfix/postfix-script[4595]: starting the Postfix mail system
<critical> postfix/master[4596]: fatal: open lock file
/var/lib/postfix/master.lock: cannot open file: Permission denied

I changed the owner of the /var/lib/postfix directory and files to kolab.

chown kolab:root /var/lib/postfix
chown kolab:kolab /var/lib/postfix/master.lock

After the owner change, the two warning: not owned by kolab messages
have gone but the fatal: open lock file message is still present and the
postfix master process still refuses to run.

I tried other solutions suggested on this forum, without success. I am
not sure if they are relevant.

I updated /etc/sysconfig/mail and /etc/sysconfig/postfix.

/etc/sysconfig/mail
MAIL_CREATE_CONFIG="no" instead of "yes"
SMTPD_LISTEN_REMOTE="yes" instead of "no"

/etc/sysconfig/postfix
POSTFIX_SMTP_AUTH_SERVER="yes" instead of "no"
POSTFIX_SMTP_AUTH="yes" instead of "no"
POSTFIX_SMTP_TLS_SERVER="yes" instead of "no"
POSTFIX_SMTP_TLS_CLIENT="yes" instead of "no"

I removed the kolab init script from runlevels 2 and 4, even though I
only use runlevel 5.

rm /etc/init.d/rc2.d/*kolab
rm /etc/init.d/rc4.d/*kolab

I am running apparmor, but have no apparmor profile for either postfix
or kolab. Switching apparmor off did not seem to make any difference.

What else do I need to do to get postfix to run?

--
Martin Campbell
Place Farmhouse, Church Road, Tostock,