Downgrading the 2.3.1(openpkg)-hosting Debian System?

Skip Morse skipmorse at gmail.com
Fri May 20 16:41:15 CEST 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 5:11 AM, Johannes Graumann
<johannes_graumann at web.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Background:
> When setting up the vserver I rent, I decided in a typical "I got to much
> time on my hands"-move to go with Debian testing rather than stable, as
> proposed (and infact provided) by the hosting company. Now testing is
> upgrading libc and as a result requires a kernel >=2.6.26, which the hosting
> outfit won 't provide (yet) - we're at 2.6.18. As a result I'm stuck for all
> upgrades of the underlying system and am looking how to remedy the
> situation.
>
> 1) Please excuse the naiveté of this question, but is it possible to just
> migrate an openpkg-compiled /kolab directory (and the corresponding
> /etc/init.d/kolab file) from the existing testing to a "fresh" Debian Stable
> instance?
>
> 2) If there is such a migration path: can that be combined with switching to
> a *.deb based kolab infrastructure and is there a proper repository to
> integrate into my /etc/apt/sources?
>
> Thank you for any hint you might be able to give.
>
> Cheers, Joh

I don't know if it's possible to just move /kolab to the new system.
But, it *should* be possible to migrate the data after installing a
new kolab system.  I think there was enough info on the wiki about the
different steps.  I did this a year or 2 ago to move from a SUSE
native install to a debian.  It was pretty much like doing a backup
and restore...  My installs are inside VMs, so it was pretty easy for
me to try and try-again until I got it right a couple times.  I
actually ended up making a script that, after I did the kolab install
on a fresh system, it would make/copy the changes for me.

** One issue that I didn't successfully transfer was the 'seen' data.
In my case it wasn't a deal breaker because almost all of my clients
are using the toltec connector, which, on the next sync just sync'd
the seen data too.

So, it seems like it would be easiest if you could just do a straight
copy, and if you have a test environment it would be interesting to
see if that worked, otherwise, I think your best bet would be to
install the same kolab version on a new 'stable' system and do a
backup/restore type migration.

Let me know if there might be some way I can help, but like I said,
it's been a while since I did that...

Thanks,
-Skip