blank email (error 500 in horde) with big attachments

Xavier Brochard xavier at alternatif.org
Mon Mar 7 12:32:18 CET 2011

Hello nick

nick at netdome.biz wrote:
>> Thanks for the help. I was thinking about a memory problem but didn't
>> know where to start.
> Right, when I run into the same problem, it was not easy to debug, either.
>
>> What really troubles me is that there is absolutely nothing regarding
>> this error in Apache logs (even in debug mode).
> I helped myself with a "tac <thatlogfile> | grep 500". That led me into
> the right direction. It's not that easy to debug a fully-running system,
> logs get clogged easily.

Well, apache log just say error 500, nothing more here. And PHP error log,
while enabled, doesn't log that problem.

I've read in that kolab bug report https://issues.kolab.org/issue4169 that
we have to patch the Kolab registry to enable PEAR logging of error.

>> While I'm experienced with Apache + Perl or cgi,  I have a very limited
>> knowledge on Apache + PHP. In the template, I've found this, with Perl I
>> would increase each value, should I?
> [..]
>
> You're absolutely right. I'm pasting my suggestions:
>
> max_execution_time = 180
> max_input_time     = 180
> memory_limit       = 256M
> post_max_size      = 25M
> upload_max_filesize = 25M
>
> I had to put memory_limit to 256M to ensure that handling attachments with
> a total size of ~ 25 MB actually works. (I tried 128, 196 MB before that.
> 192 MB failed with attachments > ~20 MB.)
> Max_execution_time/max_input_time is unusually high, but needed for slow
> connections to finish their upload.

Same case here. Low adsl line, and users receiving big sized attachments.
And the more it's big, the more users try to upload similar sized files.

> I might try to tweak all those entries
> closer to their "really needed values", but am happy enough for the
> moment.

I have plenty of ram, so I copied your values.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Xavier