[Kolab-devel] Kontact E5 questions

Heiner Markert mephisto at gmx.net
Fri Jun 24 20:48:13 CEST 2011

Hello

thank you for the quick reply! Details to your questions are given below.

Am Freitag, 24. Juni 2011, 14:14:01 schrieb Andre Heinecke:
> Hi,
>
> Am Freitag, 24. Juni 2011 13:12:25 schrieb Heiner Markert:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I also installed Kontact E5, however the 32 Bit version on Windows XP. I
> > noticed some additional issues:
> > - shutting down the client (full shutdown in the file menu) does not
> > work.
>
> Full shutdown is extremly new functionality i've only added it for the last
> package and it only makes really sense on windows to provide the users with
> a shutdown possibility that kills all kde processes.
> I've only tested it on Win7 but since what it does is pretty brutal (looks
> for all processes that were lauched from your kontact installation
> directory and kills them) it should work.
> Which pasdrocesses were still running?

After initiating a full shutdown, the kontact window is closed, but
kontact.exe remains active in the process list, as well as many other KDE
specific processes (these are: akonadi_agent_launcher.exe,
akonadi_control.exe, akonadi_imap_resource.exe, akonadiserver.exe, dbus-
daemon.exe, kded4.exe, kioslave.exe, klauncher.exe, knotify4.exe, kontact.exe,
korgac.exe, kwalletd.exe, nepomukserver.exe, plus some additional akonadi_xxx
subprocesses that I did not list explicitly).
The same behaviour occurs when I initiate kdeinit4.exe --terminate manually.

> > - closing and reopening the client usually does not work, the windows
> > session has to be closed in order to allow for a restart of the
> > application.
>
> Mmh, i had that behavior some times during testing when some component was
> broken and the kontact process did not terminate. But that was during
> development it should not happen with this package. Was there anything else
> crashing before? some error messages perhaps?

I noticed that kontact.exe remains in the process list, although the window
gets closed. Killing kontact manually allows for a restart without logging the
user out.
The only error message I get when starting kontact is that nepomuk indexing
service has been disabled. I was unable to find a possibility to configure
nepomuk behaviour.

> > - Notes are now handled by the "kjots" part. However, notes
> > taken with that component can not be seen on Linux/KDE clients that use
> > the old knotes components. Notes taken in Linux/KDE with knotes do
> > appear as raw rich text in windows, all tags are displayed and no
> > formatting is done. Very annoying, as all lists get completely
> > unreadable.
>
> The Notes issues is new to me. Do you know if syncing them basically works
> e.g. from one linux installation to another?

Some details to the notes issue:
My kolab server still has some notes that have been created with a KDE3
kontact version. With the current Kubuntu client (still not using akonadi!),
these are still displayed correctly using the knotes component.

The Windows version as well as the Linux version with akonadi (Linux: current
release of KDEPIM, taken from the kubuntu experimental repository) are both
not able to display these notes correctly using the kjots component: The notes
appear, but show the plain RTF contents, which is pretty much unreadable by
normal users.

Things get even worse when I create notes with a new client version using
kjots and akonadi: the notes are, in some way, stored on the kolab server, and
exchanging notes between current windows and linux clients works.
However, these notes do not appear at all in the older client versions.
I also extended my kolab server (version 2.2.4) with the syncphony funambol
connector (https://evolvis.org/projects/syncphony/) - this extension does also
ignore notes created with the kjots component, as if they would not exist.
There seems to be something missing that the older clients rely on in order to
detect notes in the imap store.
The notes issue is not Windows specific - I get the same behavior for recent
linux clients too.

> Regards,
> Andre

Best Regards