LDAP Error: failed to modify kolab configuration object: No such object

Csanyi Pal csanyipal at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 17:20:15 CEST 2011

Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh at gcd.ie> writes:

> On Tue, 19 Jul 2011, Csanyi Pal wrote:
>
>> > did you run kolab_bootstrap -b to set  kolab ?
>>
>> Yes.
>> Should I use Kolab Issue Tracker wiki page to ask help there?
>
> Perhaps you might tell us exactly what steps you took from the start
> in one email.
>
> eg
>
> 1. Installed base Debian OS (version X) with relevant extra packages
> X, Y.

Debian GNU/Linux Squeeze, debian version: 6.0.2, that is this is the
stable Debian version at present.
Linux bubba 2.6.32.13 #1 Tue May 25 12:01:56 CEST 2010 ppc GNU/Linux
This kernel is specific to headless Bubba PC which is a power pc.

With the Debian system come the natively installed exim4 MTA too. That
is the default case. exim4 was installed on Bubba when I get it from
Sweden.

I don't know which other relevant extra packages should I list here, but
those are the steps which I follow when upgraded my 'Bubba' headless
server from Debian Etch to Debian Squeeze:
http://pastebin.com/iVs997ks
Here are described which packages was removed and which one was
installed too, during upgrading to Debian Squeeze.

And those are the steps which I follow when setup my Bubba for
firewall/gateway:

> 2. Downloaded the kolab source/binary installer script from <here>.

I installed kolab using the following Debian Squeeze packages:
i A kolab-cyrus-admin
i A kolab-cyrus-clients
i A kolab-cyrus-common
i A kolab-cyrus-imapd
i A kolab-cyrus-pop3d
i A kolab-libcyrus-imap-perl
i   kolab-webadmin
i   kolabd
i A libkolab-perl
i A php-kolab-filter
i A php-kolab-freebusy

> 3. Ran the installer with these options, it completed
> successfully/with errors/failed.

As root I was run the command:
 # aptitude install kolab
kolab-cyrus-admin{a} kolab-cyrus-clients{a} kolab-cyrus-common{a}
kolab-cyrus-imapd{a} kolab-cyrus-pop3d{a}
kolab-libcyrus-imap-perl{a} kolabd libkolab-perl{a}
php-kolab-filter{a} php-kolab-freebusy{a} php-net-ldap2{a}
php5-ldap{a}
postfix-ldap{a} slapd{a} unixodbc{a}

I was setup during this installation slapd:
Setup: slapd (2.4.23-7.2) ...
  Moving old database directory to /var/backups:
  - directory unknown... done.
  Creating initial configuration... done.
  Creating LDAP directory... done.
Starting OpenLDAP: slapd.

etc. etc.

Creating/updating cyrus user account...
`cyrus' user is already the member of group: sasl.
etc.
Starting Cyrus IMAPd: cyrmaster.
etc.
Adding ldap map entry to /etc/postfix/dynamicmaps.cf
etc.
Adding user `postfix' to group `sasl' ...
adding postfix user to group sasl
Done.
user `cyrus' is already the member of group: kolab.
Reloading web server config: apache2.
Starting Kolab server: kolabd.

Yes, this was not my first attempt to install kolab on this server but
second or third.

After that I red the /usr/share/doc/kolabd/README.Debian.gz file and
follow the exact step from there. One can see the commands and outputs
of these commands here: http://pastebin.com/M3sqNAR4

After that I get an error message:
Errors:
LDAP Error: failed to modify kolab configuration object: No such object

whenever I try to setup say: SMTP "smarthost/relayhost" in the Kolab
Server Settings at https://csanyi-pal.info/admin/settings/

> and tell us where you ran into problems and what errors you saw.

I confess that that at first installation of kolabd I was gettting an
error message at the end of the installation but can't remember it
anymore.

> The reason I ask is that you started off wanting to do something quite
> out of the ordinary (replace postfix with exim).  The normal install
> process is pretty straightforward as a rule, as long as you follow the
> instructions in the README file, so there must be some source for all
> of these problems.

Because I installed kolabd from binary packages, I don't have any README
files at the beginning of the installation.

At first time when I try to install kolabd, ther was installed exim4
already, so the aptitude package manager tried to uninstall exim4 to can
to install postfix, but then because of package dependency, should
install drupal6 package too. Drupal6 is an open source content
management platform so I want it to keep on my Debian system.

I decided then to first replace exim4 with postfix, but then I run into
difficulties and must to use dpkg command too to get things back into
normal. At the end I was successfully install postfix so exim4 was
purged from the system.

I have now a working postfix setup, so I can to post mails to localhost
and to Internet side too.

> Are you using the default openpkg installer, or the testing debian
> packages?  Are you deviating from the general instructions in any
> other way?  Did you keep the installer log and are there any errors in
> it?

aptitude search openpkg
gives to me no output so on Debian GNU/Linux Squeeze using the main
repository ther isn't an openpkg package.

> so there must be some source for all of these problems.

I want to find that source for all of these problems.
Please help me in that effort!

--
Regards, Pal
<http://csanyi-pal.info>