Delete old emails

Paul Douglas Franklin pdf at yugm.org
Fri Jan 14 00:25:02 CET 2011

I have a user who accesses his email via his desktop and also via his
iPhone.  Both download using pop3 and leave the mail on the server for
the other to grab; neither has the responsibility to delete old emails.
On his desktop, he has Toltec set up to save the messages back to the
server.  He reads the messages on one or the other and then either
deletes them or (on his laptop) moves them into a folder.  He has quite
a few folders and creates more when he sees fit.
Occasionally the iPhone misbehaves and decides to download his thousands
of read messages as if they are new.  Interestingly enough, he doesn't
like deleting them again.  So I would like to set the server to
automatically purge old emails, comme ci:
http://wiki.kolab.org/Automatically_purge_old_emails.
That would seem to fit the bill except that the value is inherited by
sub-folders, and I don't want anything that he has saved in a folder to
disappear on him.  I'm guessing that if I set the purge time on the main
folder to 30 and then set the purge time on each folder to none, it will
work until he adds another folder.  Is this correct, and is there any
solution to the problem of the purge time being inherited by a new folder?
--Paul
<http://wiki.kolab.org/Automatically_purge_old_emails>
--

Paul Douglas Franklin
Computer Manager

/Husband of Danette; father of Laurene, Miriam, Tycko, Timothy, Sarabeth, Marie, Dawnita, Anna Leah, Alexander, and Caleb/

Upgrade to the premier Office package today!

Free download here:
http://www.openoffice.org/