Horde 4 News: Horde 4 / Kolab road map update

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Tue Feb 8 14:06:36 CET 2011

Quoting Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh at gcd.ie>:

> On Tue, 08 Feb 2011, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
>
>> > Is there a straightforward way to set up Horde 4 alongside an existing
>> > standard install (on the same or different web server) and just show it to
>> > a small number of brave users?
>>
>> This provides the necessary instructions:
>>
>> http://log.pardus.de/2010/12/early-horde4-release-for-kolab-server.html
>>
>> This was the first test release and it only contained the mail part.
>> It should work fine if you just install it on your current Kolab
>> server. If you use a master/slave approach it might be necessary to
>> hardcode the master server in the configuration of the mail application.
>
> So, while I appreciate there are no guarantees here, this install script
> should be safe to run on a production server?

Nope, no guarantees. Don't run this on a production machine! This is
just play stuff after all. Very often Kolab servers in a production
environment are really mission critical. Never ever use anything
beside the certified stable releases from kolab.org on a production
machine. I mean that :)

This is the reason why I also always suggest to base your servers on
OpenPKG even if I may dislike the distribution. The variant is just
rock solid and chances to break it are slimmer than with anything
else. And while I may push experimental packages for OpenPKG: Don't
use them if you do production.

Sorry, went off on a short rant - :) - I probably didn't need to tell you.

> We won't use Horde4 itself
> in production yet, but it should be safe to install it alongside?

Do it on a slave server then.

> We're a 64-bit compiled-from-source install, in case that makes any
> difference.  I did try a script like that one some time back, but it seemed
> to choke on the 64-bit issue.  I didn't get much time to look into it I'm
> afraid.

Hm, I didn't test 64-bit. But the packages are source packages and I
don't see how the PHP code could have 64-bit issues. But as mentioned:
feedback welcome :)

Cheers,

Gunnar

> Gavin
>

> --
> Gavin McCullagh
> Senior System Administrator
> IT Services
> Griffith College
> South Circular Road
> Dublin 8
> Ireland
> Tel: +353 1 4163365
> http://www.gcd.ie
> http://www.gcd.ie/brochure.pdf
> http://www.gcd.ie/opendays
> http://www.gcd.ie/ebrochure
>
> This E-mail is from Griffith College.
> The E-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and may be
> privileged and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity
> to whom they are addressed. If you are not the addressee you are prohibited
> from disclosing its content, copying it or distributing it otherwise than to
> the addressee. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately
> notify the sender by replying to this e-mail and delete the e-mail from your
> computer.
>
> Bellerophon Ltd, trades as Griffith College (registered in Ireland No.
> 60469) with its registered address as Griffith College Campus, South
> Circular Road, Dublin 8, Ireland.

Tel.   : +49 700 6245 0000                         Bundesstrasse 29
Fax    : +49 721 1513 52322                        D-20146 Hamburg