AW: Kolab KVM-image

info.mts.consult at gmail.com info.mts.consult at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 20:14:40 CEST 2010

Thank you so much!

Great work
---

-----Original Message-----
From: Del <delonly at gmail.com>
Sender: kolab-users-bounces at kolab.org
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 19:42:33
To: <Kolab-users at kolab.org>
Subject: Kolab KVM-image

I found out it was time to virtualize my Kolab server. There are many reasons
for doing it, in my case it was simply to cleanly  separate the host from the
Debian installation with the Kolab server.

I chose KVM and use it directly from the command line. The image is set up to
use the virtio drivers so that net has great performance and disk has OK
performance (using a dedicated fileserver with nfs or samba is probably a good
idea for high traffic servers).

In any case, the image has worked well for me, so I thought maybe others are
interested in testing it out. You will find it here:
http://ubuntuone.com/p/Hjm/
I guess making a torrent is more sensible, so feel free to do that if you want
to.

Install KVM, then you can boot it from the command-line. Give it at least
750MB memory for smooth operation. Boot it firewalled the first time, and make
sure you change passwords and users to your choices. Currently both user,
password and root-password is debian. You will find a text file in the /root
folder with directions to set it up.

To boot it up firewalled, just maneuver to the folder you downloaded it to and
run:
$  kvm -m 750 Kolab-2.2.4-Lenny-i386-KVM.img

Once set up you can boot it as a first rate citizen on your net. I have the tap
interface set up with a bridge on the host (for Debian based host it is
explained in the text file under /root). Then I simply do
$ sudo kvm -drive file=/path/to/Kolab-2.2.4-Lenny-i386-KVM.im,if=virtio,boot=on
-net nic,macaddr=00:11:22:33:44:55,model=virtio -net tap -m 768

Now it shows on my net with the mac address 00:11:22:33:44:55. I use that to
give it a fixed IP on my Lan, then all is left is to forward port 25 from the
external IP with my domain name to my new virtual machine.

I used the binary Kolab packages for Debian according to the instructions, so
the binary packages should work without hassle when upgrading. Ssh is
installed for remote access.

Enjoy,
Del