Kronolith and nag are dead slow

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at kolabsys.com
Mon Nov 1 08:42:32 CET 2010

Zitat von Alexander Gran <alexg at moduleworks.com>:

> Am Sonntag 31 Oktober 2010, 22:30:48 schrieb Gunnar
> Wrobel:
>> Hm, I don't think fetchmail is really comparable to
> Horde. But
>> basically you want to say that your IMAP server seems
> to be slow?
>
> Args, well. yes, but I was kind of wrong.
>
> I just retested by giving another user access to the
> supposely slow calendar and it was fast. So its not the
> 1103 mails.
> Looking again at the system, I see:
> I have 100% apache load while waiting for things to
> happen, and only sometimes 20% imapd load.
> I now logged in as the problematic user. (dimp) Then
> just the click on Kalendar results in 2MB transfer log.
> Here is the timing:
> cyrus at webmail:/var/lib/cyrus/log/USER.com$ grep \<1288
> * | cut -d\< -f 2 | sort | uniq
> 1288561238
> 1288561250
> 1288561251
> 1288561252
> 1288561253
> 1288561254
> 1288561255
> 1288561256
> 1288561257
> 1288561268
> 1288561269
> 1288561270
> 1288561271
> 1288561272
> 1288561273
> 1288561311
> 1288561313
> 1288561371
> 1288561373
>
> What strikes me is the first delay between second 38
> and 50. What happens here is:
>> 1288561238>* LIST (\HasChildren) "/" "INBOX"
> (Then a looong response).
> A0007 OK Completed (0.070 secs 2373 calls)
> <1288561250<A0008 GETANNOTATION "INBOX"
> "/vendor/kolab/folder-type" "value.shared"
>
> This GETANNOTATION  is then done for each and every of
> the 2300 folders, taking until 1288561254

But I assume this only happens on login, right? Or do you see this on
each page load?

> Am I right that the server needs 12 seconds to process
> the folder list? It is the same with 1288561257 until
> 1288561268.
>
> 1288561311 are new logins 1288561371.
>
> Do I have a chance to get timing data from horde, too?

I don't think this is necessary as I can assure you that this is a
known limitation. The folder list is not cached between sessions and
fetching the annotations is currently inefficient because of the PHP
IMAP patch we use. This annotation fetching is something I will fix
with Horde4. I could probably work around the issue with some caching
in Horde3 but so far there was not enough interest in getting this
corrected.

Cheers,

Gunnar

> regards
> Alex
> --
> Dipl.-Inform. Alexander Gran, MBA
> Neusser Straße 388  50733 Köln  Germany
> M: +49(0)163/5598933  Encrypted Mails welcome.
> Steuernummer 217/5094/3247 Ust-IdNr.: DE259069010
> PGP-Key at http://www.grans.eu/misc/pgpkey.asc | Key-
> ID: 0x6D7DD291
>
> --
>
> Visit ModuleWorks at:
>
> Euromold 2010, 01.12 - 04.12 - Frankfurt, Hall 11.0
> E102
>
> Dipl. Inform. Alexander Gran, MBA
> alexg at moduleworks.com
> http://www.moduleworks.com
> SkypeID: mw_alexg
> M: +49(0)163/5598933
>
> ModuleWorks GmbH
> Ritterstraße 12a
> 52072 Aachen
> HRB 11871
> Amtsgericht Aachen
> Geschäftsführer Yavuz Murtezaoglu
>
> This message is for the designated recipient only and
> may contain
> privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private
> information.
> If you have received it in error, please notify the
> sender immediately
> and delete the original.
> Any other use of the email by you is prohibited.

Gunnar Wrobel
Developer, Kolab Systems AG

e: wrobel at kolabsys.com
t: +49 700 6245 0000