MS AD authenitication and attachment restrictions

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Tue Mar 30 13:03:49 CEST 2010

Hi,

Quoting Muhammad Sharfuddin <ibnerazi at yahoo.com>:

> this is my first email to the list and I want to know following
> about kolab
>
> 1 - is it possible to authenticate users from MS Active Directory ?

this might work. We had an AD connector for the kolabd daemon but I
don't know if that one still works fine. I added Thomas on cc he might
know more about it than I do.

> 2 - is it possible to restrict a group of users from sending
> attachments
> 3 - is it possible to restrict a group of users from sending
> attachment larger then 55 KB

This is nothing that you would get with a simple click in the admin
frontend but it is certainly configurable.

The Kolab Server uses postfix as MTA and amavisd-new for
virus/attachment checking. Both might be used to impose limits on the
message size. How the exact configuration might look like depends on
your exact requirements though. "restrict users from sending"
attachments is still a little bit vague. What exactly is an
"attachment" in a multi-mime-part message? Does the HTML part a client
might send already count as attachment or not? In general my feeling
is that it makes sense to impose restrictions on the complete message
size in that case. And that is something you could add to the postfix
configuration. And I believe it should also be no problem to restrict
that to a specific group of users.

Cheers,

Gunnar

> thanks
> Muhammad Sharfuddin

Tel.   : +49 700 6245 0000                         Bundesstrasse 29
Fax    : +49 721 1513 52322                        D-20146 Hamburg