[Q/OT] status of Kontact for Win and Mac OS X

Albrecht Dreß albrecht.dress at lios-tech.com
Tue Jun 22 21:49:36 CEST 2010

Hi all,

I stumbled over a a news article in the German "Linux Magazin" [1] which stated that "kontact[...] for windows reached a usable state in the past half year".

However, the latest Win releases are a enterprise 4 beta build of Dec. 09, and an alpha of enterprise 5, of which the readme explicitly states that it should not be used in production environments.  This seems to be a contradiction to me... ;-)

Is there a link to the current status, in particular which bugs of enterprise 4 have been fixed?  When I tried that version, I ran into lots of issues (I recall offhand too long mail folder names for win caused by a deep imap folder structure [kolab/issue3582] and broken time zones in the calendar).

The background is that we are still stuck with Outlook and Toltec on our Win boxes and *desperately* looking for an alternative due to the many deficits of that solution.  I will have a look at other connectors (Konsec, Bynari), but my general impression is that all of them tend to be both slow and unstable in particular with larger mailboxes and/or in combination with additional OL add-ons.

Regarding the Mac version, there seems to be no progress at all?  I managed to build it from source about half a year ago on my old G4/800 running Tiger which was a *real* pita (40 hours pure compile time or so), and it showed some issues which were blamed to Tiger (don't have access to a [Snow] Leopard box where I can actually build software...).  A pre-compiled installer would be extremely helpful here!  Any news here?

Thanks in advance,
Cheers,
Albrecht.

[1] <http://www.linux-magazin.de/NEWS/Linuxtag-2010-KDE-Kontact-fuer-Mac-Windows-und-Mobile>