Building the Kolab Server (was: Re: What about starting to use project-builder for native packages?)

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Mon Jun 14 19:33:47 CEST 2010

Hi,

it has been some time since I thought about how we could build the
Kolab server in the future. Especially if we move away from OpenPKG
and focus more on the native variants of the server.

Whatever the main supported target will be my impression is that we
will need to open up our build process to deal with more than a single
build type. Which makes sense as we currently have a situation where
the code repositories for the native installations do not reside
within Kolab CVS. This is bad as it separates knowledge which I
believe belongs together. At the same time the native distributions do
not immediately benefit from updates or corrections in the main Kolab
CVS.

My initial thought has been that project-builder would be a good
solution to the problem. Using a tool specifically built for building
packages for different distributions.

After looking a bit closer I think this might not be such a good idea.
It would make it necessary for the devs to learn the semantics of just
another build tool. And when I look at what I did with the PEAR
packages and their Makefiles I would say we could probably achieve all
that is necessary by just using such a templating approach together
with make.

Coming back to Richards OpenSuse build service suggesting...

Quoting Richard Bos <ml at radoeka.nl>:

[snip]

> Some projects in the OBS use simple ad-hoc templating they have developed
> themselves that is specific to each package, eg a .spec.in file is processed
> on checkin to substitute variables from some template control using perl or
> sed scripts contained in the package to create a usable specfile.
>
> Others have developed domain-specific templating systems such as kde-obs-
> generator (http://en.opensuse.org/KDE/Build_Service/Cross-distro) that use an
> input template and the source's buildsystem to generate cross-distribution
> spec files for any project in that domain.
>
> I hope that also explains a bit the possibilities / limitations of the build
> service.

So this would mean that we could continue to develop stuff in Kolab
CVS (or Kolab hg for that matter) and still build some variants of the
Kolab server on the Suse build service? Then I would choose that way
and even though we might not use the build service directly we would
certainly try to allow for its use.

At the moment I think the best thing to do is to invite the native
distros to criticize the way we currently build the Kolab server.
Where are we causing problems for the native variants? Which packages
could be easily transformed in a way that they can be built on several
distros? Would that help anyone?

This way we might start on working to get away from OpenPKG while at
the same time opening up on the other distros. And I believe starting
that process is really urgent as we know we can't keep OpenPKG forever
and the switch will cost a lot of effort.

Cheers,

Gunnar