Kolab-users Digest, Vol 77, Issue 35

Duffields dhltd at telus.net
Sat Jul 24 16:27:14 CEST 2010

On July 24, 2010 03:00:02 am kolab-users-request at kolab.org wrote:
> Am Freitag 23 Juli 2010, 15:37:25 schrieb Duffields:
> > Since I am so familiar with Kontact and despite the frustration that the
> > addition of the Akonadi server caused, I still think it is the best
>
> Did you solve that in the meantime? My Akonadi is still throwing errors...
>
> regards
> Alex

The problems I had perhaps were complicated by the fact that I use Ubuntu as my
primary OS rather than Kubuntu.
On my initial installation of Ubuntu 10.04, I copied all the kontact files that I
used with Ubuntu 9.10, into their appropriate places in the 10.04 installation.
1. When I attempted to run Kontact  I received the error message that Akonadi
was not running. I was still installing so I left it alone and carrried on with
other applications.  After several reboots, and a return to Kontact, Akonadi was
running.  Annoying but no really big deal.

2. Often when starting Kontact, the contacts were greyed out and not available.
That was really annoying but I followed the suggestion on the Wiki and started
KAddress Book, (or was it Kmail, I foget).  The contacts appeared normal so I
then started Kontact and I had contacts available.

3. This was the worst problem.  I had contacts available and could edit them but
when I tried  to compose an email, there was no auto-completion of the address.
IE when starting to type an address, Kontact could not find the contact to enter
the email address.
A posting I found mentioned that the problem could be fixed by adding "Personal
Contacts" (or whatever address book I was using) to the Akonadi resource list.
But I could not find where to make that change.  Eventually I discovered that
kcontrol which I had been using to change KDE settings has been replaced with
"systemsettings"  in the Ubuntu repositories, After installation it is
accessible through Main Menu > Preferences > System Settings.
Select the "Advanced" tab > KDE Resources > Akonadi Resources.  From there I can
add whatever contact list I desire.

A bit convoluted but had I been using Kubuntu it would have been simpler.

Since I have just begun to use Kontact on a production machine, I may find other
problems with Akonadi but so far so good.  I expect your grief is more complex.

Mac