debian or ubuntu, packaged or openpackaged

Alvin info at alvin.be
Wed Jan 6 17:25:43 CET 2010

On Wednesday 06 January 2010 15:44:22 Gavin McCullagh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we're migrating an old kolab install and planning the new platform to run
> it on.
>
>  - We generally use Ubuntu LTS on all of our servers but do have a couple
>    of Debian servers too.
>  - We generally like to use Debian packages wherever possible for
>    ease of management, patching and upgrade.
>
> I've been trying out the native packaging for debian lenny.  It seems to
> mostly work but while I like the idea of it, I'm not sure it's in wide
> enough use yet for us to go with it compared to the openpackage route.
> This is for a fairly large number of users so I'd rather not take chances.
>
> If we're using debian packages, I'll go with debian rather than ubuntu.  If
> we were to use openpackage, is one preferred over the other?
>
> Any other thoughts?

Last time I checked (3 months ago), the debian/ubuntu packages were still
broken. (see bugs below)

The debs install, but the configuration does not work. I tried for a day.
Openpkg source packages did not work for me, but I believe that bug is fixed.
Currently, I'm using openpkg (ix86-debian5.0) on a virtual (kvm - i386)
karmic, and that works fine.

See:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kolabd
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/234860