Lost Emails in Kolab

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 22:34:16 CET 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Jochen May <admin at jmay.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i got some problems with my mailsystem yesterday. Fetchmail grep around 3 pm a
> couple of mails from my provider and hand it over to postfix. So far so good.
> Unfortunaly, i never get this mails. After browsing thrue the log-files i
> found this:
>
> Feb 24 14:41:16 kolab kolabd[2930]: Y Error: Unable to connect to local Cyrus
> admin interface
>
> So i guess, that this was the problem. But i don't get the mails.
>
> I got in my mind, that postfix keep the messages until they can forward it to
> cyrus. So normaly, the messages shout be appear after the restart of the
> server...
> But when i take a look to the postfix.log, it shows me, that the messages are
> bounced back.

You could use this to find your emails history:

http://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/What_is_happening_to_my_emails_where_are_their._Search_your_postfix_log_to_find_them

> First of all, is this right what i write there? And if yes, can somebody
> explain me why it work in this?

A SMTP must  warn the sender (the mail bounce) if it cannot deliver it
in a mailbox.
If the problem is for a short period then it must retry later.

> After a restart of the server, everything was ok. Expect the missing mails :-(
>
> Greetings
> Jochen May

Alain Spineux                         |  aspineux gmail com
Your email 100% available             |  http://www.emailgency.com
ntbackup frontend sending mail report |  http://www.magikmon.com/mkbackup/