viewing ICS calendar in outlook 2007

Gavin McCullagh gavin.mccullagh at gcd.ie
Thu Feb 18 19:54:45 CET 2010

Hi,

we can't work out how to get Outlook 2007 to view ICS calendars -- it
appears to actually try the HTTP request, but gives up when asked for
authentication if we point it at:
        https://<server>/client/rpc.php/kronolith/<emailaddress>/<emailaddress>.ics

As an experiment, we tried:

but it refuses to even try that (even if you URL encode the username and
password).  It would appear this is a common problem and that Google
have worked around it by creating an unauthenticated  "secret url" which a
user can paste into Outlook -- effectively embedding a password of sorts in
the URL.
        http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/microsoft-office/view-your-google-calendar-in-outlook-2007/

Is there some way to do this in kolab?  Is Google's method worth
considering, something like
        https://<server>/client/rpc.php/kronolith/<emailaddress>/<username>:<secret>/<emailaddress>.ics

with the right apache rewrite rules and/or PHP code, I suppose this might
be workable?  I appreciate that it's horde/kronolith would need to change
but is there any sense in this?

By contrast, sunbird/lightning download the calendar perfectly, but they
don't seem able to use F/B info :-(

Gavin