Kolab 2.2.3 with a 2nd apache

Alexander Schröter webmaster at computational-chemistry.org
Mon Feb 15 13:55:58 CET 2010

On Monday 15 February 2010 01:32:35 pm Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> Quoting Alexander Schröter <webmaster at computational-chemistry.org>:
> > I am using the URL of my main apache (native) to get this error.
> > What I have been doing so far is the following:
> >  First I tried to connect directly to the port of the openpkg apache
> > (server:81). After some thinking of course that cannot work because
> > the native apache forwards everything in the manner server$1 to
> > https://server$1[1]. So I turned the native apache of and tried to
> > connect. Also with no luck but I think I have found the problem
> > because a connection to port 81 give the error
> >   /[Mon Feb 15 11:35:37 2010] [error] [client 85.180.149.61] access
> > to /kolab/var/kolab/www/client failed, reason: SSL connection
> > required/
>
> Sounds like you are connecting to the server via HTTP. The default
> setting for the Kolab server apache is to require SSL encryption when
> accessing the web client or the web admin. If you are trying to
> connect via HTTP the default action for the OpenPKG apache will be to
> redirect you to the same URL but prefixed with https://.

Yes you are right thats the default setting. But what the wiki
(http://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/Kolab2_Integration_with_another_running_apache_server)
basicly suggests is to put the openpkg apache on port 81 and turn off ssl.
And
use your native apache to connect via the proxy module to port:81 And so to
speak pass it trough from 443 (native) to 81 (openpkg).

> I'm not familiar with the two apache setup so it is hard for me to
> find the exact error in your setup but I assume that this redirection
> might be the cause of your error.

Weird the SSL Error is gone ... and I don't know why and where? But I have a
different one now.

"[Mon Feb 15 13:45:30 2010] [error] [client 85.180.149.61] Directory index
forbidden by Options directive: /kolab/var/kolab/www/"

> As the OpenPKG apache is running on HTTPS most of the time anyway I'd
> suggest you do not focus on handling Port 80 but rather look for port
> 443 and reroute that one through 444.

Sorry I don't understand what you want me to do here?

> Cheers,
>
> Gunnar

Thanks for the help.
By the way I joined the kolab irc channel maybe if you have a minute we
can talk about it in realtime :)
Alexander