kolab aliases and distribution lists

Gavin McCullagh gavin.mccullagh at gcd.ie
Fri Feb 12 17:10:06 CET 2010

Hi,

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:

> >query_filter =
> >(&(!(kolabDeleteFlag=*))(|(alias=%s)(mail=%s))(!(cn:dn:=external)))
> >
> >surely that will match a real email account and anyone who has that alias
> >set on their account?
>
> Well, that is correct :) The limitation I mentioned is only imposed
> by the web admin. You could modify your LDAP directly (using ldapvi
> or luma or ...) and set the same alias on different accounts. I
> currently can't think of a reason why you should not do that :) but
> I'm sure the webadmin restriction is there for a reason.

I've just given two accounts the same alias here in the web interface and
it seems to have worked fine.  Have I misunderstood something?  I think I
tested before and found that sending to that alias would cause the email to
go to both addresses?

> >Perhaps that means authenticated to LDAP and the autocomplete doesn't
> >authenticate.
>
> No I believe "available" means that you may send to it only from
> your internal network. You can't send to it from outside of the
> Kolab server. This is a limitation I forgot to mention but if I
> understood you correctly it should not matter in your specific case.
> The entry for the distribution list goes into the "cn=internal"
> branch of your LDAP tree and the only relevant ACL for that would be
>
> access to dn="cn=internal,dc=itzcuintli,dc=aztec,dc=intevation,dc=de"
>         by
> dn="cn=nobody,cn=internal,dc=itzcuintli,dc=aztec,dc=intevation,dc=de"
> read
>         by * search stop
>
> So only the "nobody" user has read access here.

I think I understand, though this may a problem for us.  I'll have to
experiment a little.

Thanks again for your help,
Gavin