kolab aliases and distribution lists

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Fri Feb 12 15:29:39 CET 2010

Quoting Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh at gcd.ie>:

> Hi,
>
> as I've mentioned before we're planning a migration from kolab 1 to v2.2.3.
>
> I haven't spotted docs on this, so I thought I'd ask here.  In kolab v1, we
> tended to just use /etc/aliases to manage aliases and distribution lists.
> This is messy and I don't recommend it, but that's what we did.  I'm now
> looking to try to use Kolab's internal systems to look after this but I
> need to make sure I understand what they each do before I go ahead.
>
> We would on occasion:
>
> 1. Take one or more non-existent account names, eg "everyone" and create an
>    alias to one or more addresses for a distribution list or just to give
>    someone an alias, eg
> 	everyone:  person1, person2, person3 at foreigndomain, ....
> 2. Take an account of a former user who has left and alias it to their
>    replacement staff member, eg.
> 	old_user:  new_user

We still lack a decent way of retiring users on the Kolab server.

> 3. Take an account and alias it to itself and someone else in order to copy
>    mails to a second user as well as the primary user
> 	some_user:  some_user, some_other_user, some_other_user2 at otherdomain...
>
> I see in the Kolab web interface that there can be N email aliases on an
> account.  If I create account1 at domain and give it the alias alias1 at domain,
> does that cause all email to alias1 at domain to go to account1 at domain

Correct.

> or
> email to account1 at domain to go to alias1 at domain?  In the former case, if I
> set up account1 at domain with the alias1 at domain, does the email go to both
> account1 and account2?

Here I don't follow. I assume you meant account2 at domain. But this is
not allowed. Each mail-address has to be unique on the server and the
web admin ensures that this is the case. If you need mail going to
alias1 at domain to be sent to both account1 and account2 you need to
make alias1 at domain a distribution list.

> I also see that there are distribution lists which we'll very likely use
> instead of [1] above.  The meaning of this is more obvious.  Is it possible
> to hide a distribution list from the directory -- even to someone who is
> authenticated?  For moderating lists we have had people email alias1 which
> was the moderators and then bounced the email to alias2.  It's not
> massively secure but it broadly works.  We'd prefer not to have everyone
> see the latter alias though.

The distribution list can be set to "hidden".

Cheers,

Gunnar