Funambol and self signed certificate

Troy Carpenter troy at carpenter.cx
Sat Feb 6 15:53:24 CET 2010

On Friday 29 January 2010 10:08:50 pm Troy Carpenter wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> I have seen this issue come up before, but looking back through the archives,
> I haven't seen a definite answer.
>
> I want to sync my Blackberry with Horde via Funambol.  The Blackberry client
> always gives a network error, but I never found where the logs existed on the
> Blackberry to check out the problem.  So I switched to the Outlook connector
> and realized that the clients are choking on the self-signed certificate.
>
> A post on the Funambol developer's list from a few years ago mentions this
> problem and they put in [what appears to be] a compile time flag to ignore the
> certificate error.  I don't think that is a run-time setting, so it would
> require compilation of all clients (outlook and Blackberry) to work.
>
> Is there any other solution short of getting a properly signed certificate?
> For a server that is only for my family, that is too great of an expense.
>
> Thanks for any pointers,

FYI, thanks to some pointers from someone on the list, I was able to get a signed certificate from www.startssl.com.  They provide signed certificates at different trust and price levels, one of those price levels being FREE.  IE and Firefox both accepted the certificate without questioning me, but konquerer prompted me.  Also, my Blackberry device also prompted me to keep the certificate.

In my particular case, this got the Funambol clients past the self-signed certificate issue.  Note that I still have other Funambol issues, so I still haven't gotten Funambol to work.