looking around for synchronization tools

Lucio Crusca lucio at sulweb.org
Sun Dec 5 11:09:50 CET 2010

Hello *,

I'm new here and I'm new to the data synchronization world as well. I've
looked around for the right tool for me to sync data. After a few hours spent
on a number of google search results, websites, features and so on, I've
finally landed here, but I'm not sure this is the right place for my
requirements...

I've read a bit about kolab and funambol, but I quite can't get how they
relate one to the other. The fact that jBoss seems to enter the game too
doesn't make the situation any easier...

What I need to do is:

1. have a server (linux based) keep my calendar and my contacts. No matter
what software I have to install there, as far as it's free as in free speech.

2. have a desktop client (linux based) giving access to my calendar and
contacts. No matter what client software as far as free. The client will be
always connected to the internet.

3. have a mobile (smart?)phone access the server from time to time and sync
calendar and contacts in the two directions (from phone to server and from
server to phone). No matter what (smart?)phone, just tell me one that works
and I'll buy that (e.g. if yuo tell I'll get the best from an Android one,
that's ok, there are no budget limits on the phone).

Just now I already have:

1 a debian linux server with egroupware 1.4. No problem to switch to something
else than egroupware if that makes the solution better.

2 a desktop client with Ubuntu

3 a plain j2me enabled nokia mobile phone (that has no wifi support, so I
guess I need to change this anyway, because I want to connect to the net only
through wifi)

Do I need kolab? Do I need funambol? Do I need both? How do I make funambol
sync egroupware to kolab if this is ever what should be done in the first
place?

Sorry for the confusion, please help me shed some light on this...