How to combine kolab and posix groups

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at
Thu Apr 22 17:53:36 CEST 2010

Quoting Alexander Gran <alexg at>:

> Hi,
> I have an little issue here combining kolabs and unix groups. I'm managing my
> user accounts and groups with ldap account manager, and importing
> the existing
> ones from a suse ox 5. Groups are created as posixGroup in ou=group,baseDN.
> nss access works fine, they appear as system groups.
> However I cannot use them in kolab, to .e.g. assign forlder rights to them.
> looking at the sources of admin/sharedfolder/sf.php I see that a
> group must be
> of objectclass kolabGroupOfNames.
> As far as I understood ldap, you cannot combine that with the posixGroup
> schema. Both are structural.

Correct. You can't combine them. In fact I would say you should not
even try do that.

Look at the core feature of a group: A group combines a number of
members. If you look at the posixGroup you see that its member
attribute is "memberUid" which identifies a user by the uid he has on
a system. The kolabGroupOfNames however derives from groupOfNames and
that uses the "member" attribute which is a DN within the LDAP tree.
This is something completely different than the uid for the posixGroup.

I do not deny that there may be a mapping. But that mapping cannot be
defined by simply merging the two object types. I'm interested to read
about how Christian solved this problem.

> Any idea how to solve the mess?
> regards
> Alex
> --
> Dipl. Inform. Alexander Gran, MBA
> alexg at
> SkypeID: mw_alexg
> M: +49(0)163/5598933
> ModuleWorks GmbH
> Ritterstraße 12a
> 52072 Aachen
> HRB 11871
> Amtsgericht Aachen
> Geschäftsführer Yavuz Murtezaoglu
> privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information.
> If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately
> and delete the original.
> Any other use of the email by you is prohibited.
> Kolab-users at

E-mail : p at                                 Dr. Gunnar Wrobel