question about smtp error 5.1.1 and Outlook

Liutauras Adomaitis liutauras.adomaitis at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 14:52:22 CEST 2009

Hi,

this maybe a question to the other mailing list, but since I have all
setup around kolab I will start asking here.

Why does Outlook (with Bynari Connector) put sent email to the Sent
Items folder even then the recepient was bad and mail was not
delivered to any recipients of this email?

Example:
New email, add few local recipients to TO field and mistype one
recipients address. Click send.
- In Outlook email is sent, it appears in Sent Items, but a NDR is
returned as new email instantly saying that some of the recipients
were rejected by the server. Kolab (postfix to be precise) is
rejecting email even for valid addresses. So email is not sent to
anyone, but Outlook NDR misleads to think that email was sent, but
only one recipient failed.
- In Mozilla Thunderbird the same situation ends with new error window
which is saying that you must fix your recipients list before sending.
Email is not moved to Sent folder. This is a correct behavior, at
least not misleading.
- Kontact the same as Thunderbird. Email is not delivered, it is not
sent out of mail client.

So is this behavior of Outlook one more evidents of M$ not following standarts?

Thanks
Liutauras