Q: Kolab and Mac OS X?

Albrecht Dreß albrecht.dress at lios-tech.com
Wed Nov 18 09:06:02 CET 2009

Hi Till:

Thanks again a lot for your input!

I yesterday night finally managed to get Kontact running on my old PowerMac G4/800 "Silver", running OS X 10.4.  The whole compilation process including all dependencies lasted ~60 hours which was actually a pita...  However, the result looks really nice, good work!

I didn't have much time for testing last night, but here are a few things I saw:
- Kwallet is apparently running in foreground, i.e. the icon is in the dock which might be somewhat confusing (it's a deamon, isn't it?).  Any way to suppress the dock icon?
- I use a server with a custom certificate.  Kontact complains that it cannot verify it, but even if I click "accept forever", it asks again *every* time I sync mails or try to send a message.  How can I install my CA chain in kontact?
- Although I use a German Mac OS 10.4, kontact comes up in English.  Did I (or Macports) forget to build the German localisation, or do I have to change something?

Am Donnerstag 12 November 2009 11:52:31 schrieb Till Adam:
> Well, syncing is a complicated topic, so there is no clear yes or no answer,
> but some devices can be synchronized, yes, with Kontact. I agree, though, an
> automated way to sync with apple's calendar and addressbook would be nice.
> Exporting the calendar to an ical file via horde and then setting that as a
> calendar in ical gets you some of the way there. Appe mail does support imap,
> so that part is no problem.

In the actual use case my boss wants is synchronisation with an iPhone.  Needless to say that this will work with the Apple applications.  Thus, it would be great to have an *automated* way to create the ical file as to export one ore more (shared) calenders from Kontact, and to add them to the Apple calendar application.  Manual actions through the web interface may work but are somewhat inconvenient (the "competition" is always vs. Outlook with some connector, where the user might have easier ways).

Thanks,
Albrecht.