gosa

John McMonagle johnm at advocap.org
Mon Mar 23 16:47:08 CET 2009

Benoit Mortier wrote:

>>> reside if not using kolab ldap.
>>>
>>> other than that it should roll
>>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Not really gosa issues but brings up a couple more issues.
>> I wonder what kind of issues there will be with upgrades if the kolab
>> server is not the ldap master?
>>
>> Some of my sites have poor network connections and slurpd replication
>> doesn't work well. Don't want to consider using slurpd again.
>>
>>  I can think of 4 possible ways to do the ldap for kolab.
>>
>> 1 Use kolab openpkg ldap as master adding sync replication.
>> 2 Use kolab openpkg ldap as sync replication slave.
>> 3 Use openldap install on kolab host as sync replication slave. Disable
>> openpkg ldap.
>> 4 Use openldap server on the local network.  Disable openpkg ldap.
>>
>> At the moment my preference is  3,4,2,1.
>>

> My preference is 4,3,2,1

Just peeked at my current production mail server ( not kolab).
saslauthd.conf  points to local ldap slave and 2 external servers.
Guess I'm into overkill :-)
I use always use at least 2 ldap servers if it's allowed.
> If you are running on debian just use the package made by mathieu parent
> they are really good and integrate very well on debian

I'll load it on a test server and test it out.
Using snapshots for production does make me a bit concerned but if it's
close to being ready I can wait a bit.

>> The biggest thing I can see is any schema and acl changes may need to
>> be manually made through the system first.  As schemacheck is on could
>> be an issue on a pure openpkg system with multiple kolab servers.
>>

> In openldap 2.4 you can store schema inside openldap so that way you just
> replicate schema like everything else...

That I do need to look into. At the moment all my ldap servers are at
2.3 but I'll work it into my planning.

Thanks

John