Kolab + EGroupware integration

Jacques Hylkema j.hylkema at intronics.nl
Fri Mar 20 13:27:58 CET 2009

Gunnar Wrobel schreef:
> Quoting Jacques Hylkema <j.hylkema at intronics.nl>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to integrate EGroupware with kolab's LDAP, but I can't get it
>> right.
>> Is there anyone on this list who has successfully integrated EGroupware
>> with Kolab, and willing to share some details?
>
> I don't know if anybody tried that yet. But you might wish to give us
> some additional details about the configuration you are trying to use
> to access the Kolab LDAP database. While there are probably not many
> people using EGroupware with Kolab we might be able to spot problems
> in the LDAP configuration.
>
> In general I don't think it makes much sense to use EGroupware with
> Kolab at the moment. You can of course use the mail (IMAP) and
> addressbook (LDAP) capabilities of the EGroupware suite with Kolab.
> But as far as I know - I did not check the Egroupware sources lately
> though - EGroupware does not support the Kolab format for groupware
> objects. This means you can't access your personal addressbook,
> calendar, notepad and task list on the Kolab server. Of course you
> have your SQL based data but this means you won't have the possibility
> to access the groupware data with any other Kolab client such as
> Kontact or Outlook with a connector.
>
> EGroupware could of course grab the Horde/Kolab packages and adapt
> them to their storage needs. They already did so with some other Horde
> packages.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gunnar

Hi Gunnar,

Thanks for your response.

I'm using Kolab mainly for email. Client is Mozilla Thunderbird.
We want to use EGroupware for group calendars, project management, wiki etc.
Offcourse I can create a completely stand-alone version based on SQL,
which means I have to manage separate user accounts (about 50) for email
(Kolab) and EGroupware. I would like to prevent that.
As far as the LDAP configuration of EGroupware, I don't have any idea
what I have to use.

Best regards,
Jacques