Q: Using a stock OpenLDAP install as replica?

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Fri Mar 20 05:32:04 CET 2009

Quoting Albrecht Dreß <albrecht.dress at lios-tech.com>:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a dumb question whether it is possible to use a "stock" OpenLDAP
> installation as replica for the Kolab OpenLDAP data base.  The
> background:  Running Kolab on a 64-bit box, I am hit by issue #2982,
> which in turn makes (as I also use OpenLDAP for Linux/Samba Logins and
> for DHCP) my whole installation inoperative.
>
> My idea is to have an other box which "only" runs OpenLDAP (of course
> with the correct schema files) and holds a copy of the LDAP data (but
> nothing else).  All involved instances (DHCP, Samba, maybe also Kolab)
> would get this installation as secondary servers which are used as
> fallback in case the primary fails.  The secondary box could be an old
> (32-bit ;-) box as it wouldn't see much traffic in the normal case.
>
> Any idea if this would be feasible?  Any pointer/howto?

As we don't patch/modify the OpenLDAP on the Kolab Server in any way I
think this should be no problem.

Did you wish to install the 32-bit machine as full Kolab server? If
so, you might just adapt the LDAP server location in kolab.conf in the
main 64-bit host. This might already work.

Cheers,

Gunnar