IMAP Servers (was: Bynari v Toltec)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Mar 5 12:03:35 CET 2009

Am Dienstag, 3. März 2009 23:55:51 schrieb schmerold1 at gmail.com:
> Outside the scope of this list, but an item of interest to many is
> Bynari's compatibility with alternative IMAP servers, such as Dovecot.

Note that Kolab Server is much more than just an IMAP server,
it needs a few more scripts for a greater groupware experience.
Especially freebusy list generation, automatic invitation handling,
folder sharing and so on.
I think all Outlook connectors can just connect to an IMAP server,
but they will lack some groupware features.

Cyrus IMAP leads in features when we constructed Kolab Server
so we took it as base and added some more scripts to the whole setup.
In the last half year we tried experimentally to also use dovecot as IMAP
server, and we did some developments so Dovecot comes closer in features,
e.g. the necessary folder sharing. It is not quite there yet and not fully
integrated. Development help is - as always appreciated - ask on kolab-devel@
for it.

Best,
Bernhard