Kolab native debian lenny install?

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Thu Mar 5 07:53:54 CET 2009

Quoting John McMonagle <johnm at advocap.org>:

> Is it feasible to do a native debian lenny install of Kolab?
>
> I prefer a native install but it's also important that it works :-)

The Kolab Konsortium still recommends using the OpenPKG for any
productive system. This is not meant to discredit the native
installations. But you have to take into account that the Kolab Server
is a very complex beast. Every release needs extensive testing and the
OpenPKG variant is the only version that currently gets this (as far
as I know).

For a productive system you also want to have a clean upgrade path
which is again something you will probably only get with the OpenPKG
variant.

I'm no fan of OpenPKG either and I consider the native variants as
very important to the progress of Kolab in general. But for productive
systems I still discourage from using them.

Cheers,

Gunnar