Kontact for MacOS experience (continued)

Del delonly at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 13:16:43 CET 2009

Finally had some more time to test Kontact for Mac, and I am in dire
need of some basic input. First a little re-cap.

Initial testing can be found here:
http://kolab.org/pipermail/kolab-users/2009-February/009449.html
Wiki-page for the client can be found here:
https://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/Kontact_for_MacOS_(beta-huge-debug)

One note, I only had a Kolab 2.2 server install to test on this time
around, while I had a CVS updated 2.2.1 beta available last time. Should
also note that I feel like Bambi on ice with Macs, so bear with me if
some stupidities appear. It is however the same MacBook as last time.

What works:
-Mail and calender works as expected.
-LDAP look-up also works nicely.
-kolabwizard (as long as mail address and login name are identical)

Critical issues:
-I was totally uncapable of un-installing Kontact properly (removing
the /opt folder entirely and the .kde folder in the users directory was
not sufficient for removing user information (and the Bambi factor
kicked in hard when I found no | on the keyboard to do piping with,
handcuffing my attemps to chase down file locations). This needs to be
documented on the wiki, as one wrong key-stroke running kolabwizard is
enough to put people in a need-to-reinstall-the-whole-system mode.
-kolabwizard only add new users when ran repeatedly, no option to remove
the existing (which makes for a messy testing environment when combined
with the point above).
-I could not get free/busy working, i.e. I could not see others busy
infromation when scheduling a meeting (but I will need to resolve the
uninstall above to come any further on that one now).

Non-critical (but still important)
-Kontact tray process sometimes does not start, I have not seen a
pattern yet (another Bambi issue is that I have no right button on the
mouse, so trying to close the tray process results in kmail+korganizer
windows popping up again).
-I did see some artifacts with Norwegian letters æ, ø and å, but that
may actually be tributed to Horde, it actually seemed OK for what was
sent from Kontact on the Mac.

I have on general question regarding Kontact, which may be illposted
here. Do we have functionality in Kontact to view others calendar in the
calendar view?

Cheers,
Del