Best practice for internal use

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 13:05:21 CEST 2009

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Sascha Schneider<schneider at zawm.be> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I want to replace our MS Exchange for it gives me multo problemos when trying
> to use it with other clients than outlook.
> I tested some groupware and finally got to kolab.
> Now I still have some questions for a setup on an internal server.
>
> Situation:
> - ISP with POP3 and webmail access + homepage under "ourdomain.be"
> - internal ubuntu Server with Samba (not PDC --  YET) and Dovecot IMAP-Server
> with internal domain "administration.local" + second server MS with exchange.
>
> So if I want to replace the existing MS Exchange I will have to use fetchmail
> to get the mails from the ISP into the users mailboxes.

Yes

> Question:
> - do I use the internal domain as primary domain "administration.local",
> ourdomain.be as secondary or the other way around??

Don't realy mater, their is nothing you cannot change or accommodate later.
If your host already exist, is in production environment and is
already  named administration.local, keep it like that.
Just change the smtp_helo_name in main.cf.template and thing about
what you will put in your SSL certificate to reduce inconvenient for
your local or remote users.

> - do I the use the other email as mailalias for each user??

not needed

> - are there any other hints or howtos I have to check to not run into
> problems??

install kolab on a old PC, to train yourself, make some testing, take
notes, and then do it on your production server.

> Greetings from belgium, Sascha

Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com
May the sources be with you