Upgrading problems: IMAP recovery

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Tue Jul 14 10:00:00 CEST 2009

Quoting Saim Kim <s.kim at hia.rwth-aachen.de>:

> Hello,
>
> after succesfully importing the LDAP backup from the old server with
> your help, I'm now struggeling with the import of the annotations.db
> file. I checked the mailing list and found several remarks on how to
> backup the file and the possibilty on just copying the file from a
> backup. Unfortunatly, the copying didn't do as hoped. After copying I
> ran the  cyrreconstruct as kolab-r. That didn't change anything -the
> calendars were still not visible.

The cyrreconstruct does not have anything to do with the annotations
as far as I know. I believe it just fixes problems with the messages
in the mail folder. The annotations.db file is actually the only place
where information about annotations are kept. So the only task should
be to get that file restored as required.

> A manual typesetting to event with the
> mboxcfg successfully restored a user calendar. For about 30+ users this
> would be cumbersome...

In the worst case you could script that step.

> I tried to export the annotations.db to skiplist format using the
> cvt_cyrusdb on the source machine and convert it on the destination
> machine back to berkeley format. Then I would run the cyrreconstruct
> command as kolab-r. All the mailboxes are listed but if I check them
> with "info" from the cyradm interface the kolab specific annotations are
> missing.

Can you try to dump the database contents to text format using:

/kolab/bin/db_dump /kolab/var/imapd/annotations.db >
annotations_db_backup.txt

> So, in essence: Is there a recommanded way of recovering the
> annotations.db like the mailbox.db? I tried to convert to flat format
> and then back to berkeley format but I would get an error message:
> "Converting from /kolab/var/imapd/annotations.db (berkeley) to
> /tmp/annotest.test (flat) Warning: apparently empty database converted."

Hm, does not sound too good.

Cheers,

Gunnar