Another free/busy odditiy - Kontact vs. DNS?

ITSEF Admin itsef-admin at brightsight.com
Thu Jan 29 17:35:44 CET 2009

On Friday 23 January 2009 08:20:44 Ingo Steuwer wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 22. Januar 2009 schrieb ITSEF Admin:
[...]
> > After some experimenting I finally found the solution for
> > this problem as well: Contrary to our other users (and myself), the users
> > with the problem had their FreeBusyRetrieveUrl set to:
> > "https://KOLABSERVER/freebusy/" All other users have
> > "https://KOLABSERVER.DOM.AIN/freebusy/". To my great surprise, only the
> > second version (with the full domain) works.
[...]
> this might be connected to your SSL-Issue. SSL-certificates are only valid
> for the FQDN (KOLABSERVER.DOM.AIN) of your server, not for the IP or
> hostname (KOLABSERVER). If you'll open https://KOLABSERVER with your
> browser you'll see a warning also. Maybe it is similar to your latest issue
> that kontact doesn't show such a warning but simply "ignores" the server
> because of the "invalied" SSL certificate.

Given the findings of Ludwig, I'd tend to assume that this problem is related
to what he describes. Also, I was the only user in our company to run into
SSL problems with Kontact, whereas several users ran into the problem I
described above (funny enough, all of them had their Kontact configured by a
colleague, who - not surprisingly - thought that HOST should work just as
well as HOST.DOM.AIN.

I'm still surprised that I cannot see the console output Ludwig describes - as
far as I can see, I'm using the same "--with-debug" (or suchlike) options for
our Kubuntu packages as used in the Kolab Debian packages.

Cheerio,

Thomas