kolab ldap migration questions.

John McMonagle johnm at advocap.org
Mon Jan 26 21:34:05 CET 2009

Bernard

Thanks for the information.
Digged a little deeper and have more questions.

Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> On Donnerstag, 22. Januar 2009, John McMonagle wrote:
>
>> Here is  one of our current records:
>> dn: uid=bradb,ou=People,dc=advocap,dc=org
>> uid: bradb
>>
>> From kolab test:
>> dn: cn=Brad Bingham,dc=advocap,dc=org

Doesn't a dn have to be unique.
If so it's probable a larger organization will have more than one person
with the same name.
uid needs to be unique anyway.

If I were to keep our method is there any "simple" way to change
kolab's  settings.

Particularly the user data is used by a lot of different programs. It
makes me concerned if forced into a particular format.  What do I do
when 2 systems require different formats.

Sort of related.
If an external program creates a new ldap user does one have to manually
create the imap mailbox?

I doesn't see anything in kolab admin concerning groups.
Do I need to be concerned migrating groups at all?

I see a substantial difference in mailing lists :-(
A simple example
kolab:
dn: cn=postmaster at advocap.org,dc=advocap,dc=org
objectClass: top
objectClass: kolabGroupOfNames
cn: postmaster at advocap.org
mail: postmaster at advocap.org
member: cn=John McMonagle,dc=advocap,dc=org
structuralObjectClass: kolabGroupOfNames

advocap:
# spam, Aliases, advocap.org
dn: cn=spam,ou=Aliases,dc=advocap,dc=org
cn: spam
rfc822MailMember: sysmail
objectClass: nisMailAlias

Have the company mailing lists defined as rfc822MailMember.
No way a simple search and replace will fix this :-(
I could edit /kolab/etc/postfix/ldapdistlist.cf
That will make postfix happy but am I likely to regret it?

Was thinking maybe could run both mailing list methods  at least for a
while.

Thanks

John